Saturday, April 7, 2007

C3 Plays the Holy Road House!

I'm very proud to be associated with the Holy Road House, as anyone who knows me knows all too well. So it's a special honor and privilage to host C3's Psychoto-electro Arkestra here tonight. We're featuring local hero Pete Szkolka as guest artist, and will be spotlighting (literally) the artwork of Tim Spurling (I hope I spelled it right, Tim). And if you're coming tonight, we have a surprise for you.

Prepping for this show has kept me distracted and busy, and I've missed some evening blogging. Baba's parents came down this week from Wisconsin. Their goal: enjoy the mild warm Missouri Spring weather as well as visit, tell tall tales, make us all laugh, and much more. And wouldn't you know, as soon as they arrived the weather turned cold. Shivering, freezing cold. But they braved it all with good humor. Very kind and fun folk. I very much enjoyed both Nancy and Joe.

Given all the excitement, my morning writing routine has suffered, but I had a good moment yesterday when I found myself sketching the outline for a new short story, or maybe not so short a story. I never know until it gets going, and this one has enough twists and turns and a large enough arc to be quite a bit more than a short story. I'm still teaching myself this stuff, the craft of story telling. Quite the challenge but the morning yesterday felt like a real success, a breakthrough even. I took as my inspiration Isaac Asimov's advice to writers, "Start with the ending first, and work backwards." So I outlined my story from back to front, which felt very odd indeed at first, but which very much did the trick. Thanks Issac!

I celebrated with a small breakfast at Ernies on the way back, then into full prep for the show.

1 comment: