Thursday, April 19, 2007

Antibalas is In the House

Tiring but amazing day: the band arrived about 2 in the afternoon. Seven or eight guys with large bags and cool gentlemanly ways, on the road for the last three weeks at least. Lizzie gathered them around, gave them a whirlwind tour of the house, took a walk downtown with some, and the rest of the afternoon they settled into claiming bed and floor space, e-mail checking, baths, and cool conversations. They're an Afro-dance horn band from ... all over probably. They're playing as I write but I caught their first set. Eleven musicians on stage, great energy and rhythms and horn lines and solos - couldn't ask for more.

Finished a story I like this morning. Posted it so some friends can give me feedback but I've already edited it and now must update my post. Lesson: don't be hasty with posting stories, even when I think they're done.

All this means Lizzie and I didn't make much progress on the Tumbleweed Cabaret site today but we did work on the story over breakfast which was much fun.

Groggy and tired tonight - today all day really. Denise came by and treated me to a birthday dinner at Murry's - a real treat and delicious, but I'm rather happy to report that my stomach has been shrinking and smaller meals are now more satisfying than feasts. Then she went to rehearsal with the Alan Beason Big Band and when she was finished we went up to the Blue Note for a bit of dancing and jiggling to Antibolus. Hope I'm spelling the name of the band right.

Night all, must sleep now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.