Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Basement Venue Emerges from the Dust

This week has been all about preparing the basement of the Holy Road House for the upcoming C3 show, as mentioned in earlier blogs. But tonight it really came together. The PA and monitors are in place and tested, though my monitor amp doesn't seem to work. But I can borrow one for the show, so no worry. The Holy Road Gardeners gathered tonight for some of Lizzie's great soup and Pam's rice casserole, then we all went downstairs and found ways to improve the space. The result is just amazing. In a couple of hours or so, we put up lights, installed dividers and curtains around unsightly fixtures like the furnace, and best of all, cleaned up and organized the outer pantry/laundry area.

Our new friend Tim came by to see about hanging some of his art work on the walls for this Saturday's show. Word is they are black-light friendly, which fits the mood of the basement as well as C3 performance style. More about that on Friday when he brings his art over and hangs it.

The news of the week for me is that we (Denise, her mom and brother and I) are booked to fly to Hawaii on July 18 for Joni's wedding and two weeks in paradise. It's one adventure after another around here these days.

Lizzie loaned me a book I had read probably thirty years ago and which arguably changed my life then: Illusions by Richard Bach, author of Jonathan Livingston Seagull. I can't put it down. It's the story of a reluctant messiah who barnstorms the Midwest US with a biplane, giving ten-minute rides to rural townspeople for $3.00 each. The book is once again making my brain glow a bright orange and may, as it has done before, leave me at least temporarily incapable of feeling negative about anything. It, like so much media I find today (but this book is thirty years old!) is affirming the C3 core concept: thoughts are things. We create our own reality. What amazing times to live in as the stew pot of transcendence grows to a boil.

No comments: