Wednesday, March 21, 2007

First steps down this road

Blog 2 - March 20 2007

Second day in my new life. Many details reveal themselves a little at a time. Like remembering to set a daily morning alarm to wake early. Finding my toothbrush and towel. I've gotten up at 8 a.m. sharp the last two mornings when I meant to rise much earlier. I've set the alarm to 6 a.m., so I'll soon see when I actually am able to open my eyes. With the sun, I expect.

It feels relaxed and easy to be around my housemates each day - I hope they feel the same, but there is a tone of trust and respect and honesty here. I'm trying to be as conscious as possible and impinge on my environment as lightly as possible (a lifelong habit, actually). But the irony is that we don't know what we don't know, what we're not aware of, and people don't often experience reality in quite the same ways, so I'm certain to overlook some things, unconsciously indulge some annoying habit or the other. But there is real joy in being aware of even that much, and working as consciously as possible to experience life from as many points of view as possible. Many challenges remain, especially how to reduce attachment to things of the past, to clutter, really, and to live more simply and economically - to lead a more zen-inspired life. In fact, it's easy to imagine I have stepped into a new level of self-imposed and self-directed zen training, a long and final stage of cleansing.

I was invited to jam with the Deli Lama Orchestra last night - a taping at Pete's studio. Many old friends were there, including Bob Runyon and Jeff Wheeler of C3, Dave Lacky, Neal Miller, Steve (Radio Ranger), John and Pam on percussion, and more. We made beautiful sounds for over two hours, and as there were few melodic instruments (keys, guitar, two basses), I felt I had room and permission to soar. It felt great.

I also took my first pass at planning the basement space in the house. Measurements, drawings, do-lists, assignments - all part of the fun of making that space usable and comfortable before April 7, the first performance there by C3.

And now, here, sitting in Lakota drinking morning coffee, the buzz of fellow Columbians starting their day, writing by hand my blog until I get my computer set up again, writing my journal, the account of my journey, inventing myself, rethinking my life and habits, creating space for something creative, fulfilling, embolding, uplifting. I can only bow my head momentarily in gratitude.

1 comment:

Baba Buffalo said...

beautiful writings. it's such an inspiration to be sharing and carving the journey and remembering the dream with you. thank you for your spirit and look forward to follow the journey through blogging and stories.